- Coordinator, Dissertation, Department of Social Work and Social Administration, 2012
- Asst. Coordinator, Master of Arts Degree in Social Sector Planning and Management, 2016
- Secretary, Makerere University School of Social Sciences Research Ethics Committee, 2016-2022
- Coordinator of Faculty Seminar series
- Coordinator of SWSA Book Bank/Library Services
- Kaawa-Mafigiri DK, Kato F, Kyamulabi A, Giles-Vernick T, Kutalek R, Napier D, & Walakira J. E (2022). Chapter 13: Communicative health promotion for refugee children in Uganda. In: Global Health Communication for Immigrants and Refugees: Cases, Theories, and Strategies. Do Kyun David Kim and Gary L. Kreps (Eds), Routledge Research in Health Communication Series 1st Edition. Routledge, United Kingdom. ISBN 9781032132358, doi:10.4324/9781003230243-13
- Kiwanuka A, Walakira E, Andersson L, & Kaawa-Mafigiri D. (2022). Barriers of HIV treatment-seeking behaviour among youths living with HIV in Uganda: a qualitative study. HIV and AIDS Review. 21(1) 43-49. doi: https://doi.org/10.5114/hivar.2022.112711.
- Nabukenya S, Ochieng J, Kaawa-Mafigiri D, Munabi I, Nakigudde J, Nakwagala FN, Barugahare J, Kwagala B, Ibingira C, Twimwijukye A, Sewankambo N, & Mwaka SE. (2022). Experiences and practices of key research team members in obtaining informed consent for pharmacogenetic research among people living with HIV: a qualitative study. Research Ethics. https://doi.org/10.1177/17470161221076974
- Mafigiri DK, Iradukunda C, Atumanya C, Odie M, Mancuso A, Tran N, McGrath J, Luzze H. (2021). A qualitative study of the development and utilization of health facility-based immunization microplans in Uganda. Health Res Policy Syst. 19(Suppl 2):52. doi: 10.1186/s12961-021-00708-y. PMID: 34380523; PMCID: PMC8356367.
- Lees S, Sariola S, Schmidt-Sane M, Enria L, Tan KA, Aedo A, Peeters Grietens K, Kaawa-Mafigiri D. (2021). COVID-19 Clinical Research Coalition Social Science Working Group. Key social science priorities for long-term COVID-19 response. BMJ Glob Health. 6(7): e006741. doi: 10.1136/bmjgh-2021-006741. PMID: 34312181; PMCID: PMC8316692.
- Salami O, Horgan P, Moore CE, Giri A, Sserwanga A, Pathak A, Basnyat B, Kiemde F, Smithuis F, Kitutu F, Phutke G, Tinto H, Hopkins H, Kapisi J, Swe MMM, Taneja N, Baiden R, Dutta S, Compaore A, Kaawa-Mafigiri D, Hussein R, Shakya SU, Kukula V, Ongarello S, Tomar A, Chadha SS, Walia K, Kelly-Cirino C, Olliaro P. (2020). Impact of a package of diagnostic tools, clinical algorithm, and training and communication on outpatient acute fever case management in low- and middle-income countries: protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials. 21(1):974. doi: 10.1186/s13063-020-04897-9.
- Schmidt-Sane, M. M., Nielsen, J. O., Chikombero, M., Lubowa, D., Lwanga, M., Gamusi, J., Kabanda, R., & Kaawa-Mafigiri, D. (2021). Gendered care at the margins: Ebola, gender, and caregiving practices in Uganda’s border districts. Global Public Health, DOI: 10.1080/17441692.2021.1879895
- Mwaka, S. E., Sebatta, E. D., Ochieng, J., Munabi, G. I., Bagenda, G., Ainembabazi, D., & Kaawa-Mafigiri, D. (2021) Researchers’ perspectives on return of individual genetics results to research participants: a qualitative study. Global Bioethics, 32:1, 15-33, DOI: 10.1080/11287462.2021.1896453
- Katz, C., Priolo Filho, S. R., Korbin, J., Bérubé, A., Fouché, A., Haffejee, S., Kaawa-Mafigiri, D., Maguire-Jack, K., Muñoz, P., Spilsbury, J., Tarabulsy, G., Tiwari, A., Thembekile Levine, D., Truter, E., & Varela, N. (2020). Child maltreatment in the time of the COVID-19 pandemic: A proposed global framework on research, policy and practice. Child abuse & neglect, 104824. Advance online publication. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chiabu.2020.104824
- Schmidt-Sane, M. M., Nielsen, J. O., Chikombero, M., Lubowa, D., Lwanga, M., Gamusi, J., Kabanda, R., & Kaawa-Mafigiri, D. (2020). Challenges to Ebola preparedness during an ongoing outbreak: An analysis of borderland livelihoods and trust in Uganda. PloS one, 15(3), e0230683. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0230683
- de Vries, D. H., Bruggeman, J., Turinawe, E. B., Rwemisisi, J. T., Musinguzi, L. K., Muhangi, D., Mafigiri, D. K., and Pool, R. (2020) Social networks for health communication in rural Uganda: A mixed-method analysis of Dekabusa Trading Centre, Luwero County. Global Public Health, 15:11, 1674-1688, DOI: 10.1080/17441692.2020.1775870
- Co-Investigator; NIHR Global Health Research Group on Vaccines for Vulnerable People in Africa (VAnguard) (PI: Pontiano Kaleebu). 2022-2025. Funded by UK NIHR/Uganda Virus Research Institute/ London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine (LSHTM)
- Anthropologist/Consultant; Anthropological Study of the Drivers of Ebola (Sudan Strain) Disease Outbreak and Community Perspectives to the Response Strategy in Uganda. 2022. Funded by The World Health Organization (WHO), Uganda, Contract #: 43296595.
- Principal Investigator, Uganda: Development of Codes of Conduct and Ethics guidelines for the application of Social Science Research in Humanitarian Action – Global Good for UNICEF BHA Social Sciences for Community engagement in Humanitarian Action (SS4CE in HA). 2021-2023. Funded by UNICEF, New York USA/Institut Pasteur Ref Number PGD/PCA2022126.
- Co-Investigator; Owning our future through community engagement: enhancing uptake of COVID-19 prevention and mitigation measures” study (PI: Nelson K. Sewankambo). 2021. Funded by Government of Uganda through the Makerere University Research and Innovations Fund (MakRIF) RIF Number MAK/DVCFA/151/20.
- Social Science/Qualitative Team Lead; Impact of Enhanced Community Engagement on Ebola Preparedness in Kasese District, Uganda. 2019-2020. Funded by International Rescue Committee Inc (IRC) and Makerere University Walter Reed Project (MUWRP)
- Co-Investigator/Anthropologist-Uganda; Impact of improved diagnostic tools and practices and behaviour change on acute fever case management and antibiotic prescriptions for children and adolescents presenting at outpatient facilities in Uganda. 2019-2022. Funded by FIND Geneva and The Infectious Diseases Research Collaboration (IDRC), Uganda.
- Co-Investigator/Anthropologist-Uganda; A Global Social Sciences Network for Infectious Threats and Antimicrobial Resistance (SoNAR-Global): Roles include: examining social protection and evaluating infectious diseases control; test and evaluate low-cost vulnerability/community One Health systems assessment tools and dialogue-based engagement. 2019-2022. Funded by European Union Horizon 2020 Better Health and care, economic growth and sustainable health systems. (Grant No. 825671).
- Social Science/Anthropologist Consultant, EVD Preparedness and response: Strengthening Community Linkages to Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) Outbreak Preparedness in Uganda. Anthropological research on the socio-cultural context of EVD in 17 most-at-risk districts in Uganda. 2018. Funded by UNICEF, Uganda, Contract #: 43266897.
- Co-Investigator; The Ethical and Social Issues in the Informed Consent Processes in African Genomic Research (PI: Mwaka, Erisa). 2017-2019. Funded by The National Human Genome Research Institute of the National Institutes of Health under H3Africa [grant number U01HG009810].
- The National Association of Social Workers of Uganda (NASWU), Kampala - 2009 - Present
- Uganda Society for Health Scientists (USHS), Kampala, Uganda - 2001 – Present
- American Anthropological Association (AAA), USA - 2001 - Present
- International AIDS Society (IAS), Geneva, Switzerland - 2001 - Present
- Scientific Research and Ethics Institutional Review Board, University Hospitals of Cleveland Case Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio - 2004 - Present
- Society For Applied Anthropology (SFAA)/Society for Medical Anthropology (SMA), USA, 2004
- Center For AIDS Research (CFAR), Case Western Reserve University/ University Hospitals of Cleveland Case Medical Center, Cleveland, Ohio - 2009 - Present
- Gates Fellow, The Bill and Melinda Gates Institute for Population & Reproductive Health at the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health, Baltimore, MD, USA - 2001 – Present
- Supporting development of a supplement published by the WHO Uganda Country Office in Health Policy and Planning Journal. The overall objective is to provide technical support to the WHO Country Office implementing team to develop and finalize a series of papers to be published in the HPP journal as a supplement issue.
- Peer reviewer for PLoS One Journal
- Peer reviewer for American Anthropologist Journal
- Peer reviewer for African Health Sciences Journal
- Member, Makerere University School of Social Sciences Research Ethics Committee.
- Coordinator of Faculty Seminar series.
- Coordinator of SWSA Book Bank/Library Services
- 11th Annual Research Ethics Conference (ANREC) sponsored by The Uganda National Council for Science and Technology (UNCST).
- 18th Annual Scientific Conference of the Uganda Society for Health Scientists (USHS), sponsored by Ministry of Health and University of Georgia, USA
Senior Lecturer, School of Social Sciences, Makerere University since 2015
Area of Professional specialization:
Social work, medical anthropology and international public health, Cultural and health related biosocial research, Community-based approaches to healthcare, Infectious disease control.
Ph.D. 2007 - Medical Anthropology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
M.A. 2003 - Anthropology, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
M.P.H. 1999 - Public Health, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
B.A. SWSA (Honors) 1995 - Social Work, Makerere University, Kampala, Uganda
OTHER ACADEMIC TRAININGS
Brown International Advanced Research Institutes (BIARI) on Global Health 2011
Certificate in interdisciplinary study of HIV&AIDS
Brown University, Providence, Rhode Island, USA
Post-Doctoral Research Fellowship, Epidemiology/Anthropology 2008
AIDS International Training and Research Program
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio
Certificate in Strategic Leadership for Population and Reproductive Health 2001
The Johns Hopkins University, School of Hygiene and Public Health, and
The Bill and Melinda Gates Institute for Population and Reproductive Health
The Institute of Public Health, Makerere University
Research experience and projects:
I have performed in various roles including as a Research Director, Principal/Co-Investigator as indicated below:
Grants, Fellowships and awards:
Postdoctoral Research Award 2008
Winner/Outstanding Research in Public Health and Community based Research
Research Show Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio.
Fogarty/AITRP NIH Fellowship Ph.D., M.A. 2001
Directed by the AIDS International Training and Research Program (AITRP)
Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, Ohio.
The Mathew Lukwiya Award 2001
Excellence in Public Health Action and Best/Outstanding Paper
Training Programs in Epidemiology and Public Health Interventions Network (TEPHINET)
Centers for Disease Control, Atlanta, Georgia.
·The Rotary Club of Kampala North, Member
EDITORIAL REVIEW SERVICE – PEER REVEIWED RESEARCH & SCHOLARLY JOURNALS: